Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog keeps vomiting, he got into my plant, don't how he

Customer Question
My dog keeps vomiting...
My dog keeps vomiting , he got into my plant, don't how he ate of it . It didn't look like much but he keeps throwing up. He can't seem to relax and he has the taste in his mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tucker
JA: How old is Tucker?
Customer: 3 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Tucker?
Customer: He seems that he can't keep anything down
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What plant was it?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just tonight he has had these signs
Some type of rubber plant
Didn't check his gums but he keeps panting and he seems like he his trying to get rid of the taste in his mouth
I didn't press on his belly

Thank you,

First, I would suggest having a feel of his belly and a check of his gums, as changes to these tend to be signs that they need to be seen urgently. That said, most rubber plants will just cause stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but can also irritate the mouth. Therefore, if he isn't vomiting profusely and continuously, we can try some supportive care for Tucker.

To start, we'd want to rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any plant residue. This and stomach acid can irritate the mouth and we'd likely help that oral discomfort if we do so now. Afterwards, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), etc)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, this plant is thankfully not a toxic one but can certainly cause stomach upset and the signs you are seeing with Tucker. So, we'd want to start the above as our plan of action to soothe his unsettled gut. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration and treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids to nip this in the bud for wee Tucker.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian