Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 12 yr. old Bichon is presently being treated with a UTI

Customer Question

My 12 yr. old Bichon is presently being treated with a UTI (2 bacterial strains are to blame), and I was wondering if I should wait until she is over the infection before she gets a Parvo vaccination.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is a 10 lb. (approx.) Bichon who is 12 yrs. old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Isabel?
Customer: She showed an allergic reaction to one of her vaccines (It may have been the rabies shot) when she was much younger; so her vet ordinarily gives her an antihistamine before she receives any inoculation.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we'd absolutely want to wait until she has gotten over this infection and if possible give her another week after that for her immune system to settle. The reason isn't due to the antihistamine (which will have no negative effect here) but because giving a vaccine now will divert her immune system's attention and actually reduce the number of white cells fighting off the UTI. And that can lead to the UTI lingering longer then it should. As well, if her immune system isn't ready to fully process the vaccine components, it will reduce the quality of the immunity she develops from the injection. So, we'd never want to give a vaccine when a pet is unwell and are best to even give a bit of time after they have cleared an infection before we give any vaccination.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )