Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She had bloody diarrhea a couple of weeks ago given an anti

Customer Question

She had bloody diarrhea a couple of weeks ago given an anti inflammatory shot and metronidazole because they thought she had a bacterial infection. She has been doing much better since finishing the antibiotics a week ago. Then this morning she vomited (which she has done from time to time and we attributed to too much stomach acid). This afternoon she vomited again and tonight she ate dinner then vomited again. My daughter just noticed the whites are swollen but the pupil is not. We are concerned to say the least. She is about 10 years old and weighs about 25 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: my daughter just said her face is puffy and she's itching it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My daughter also said Angel was eating grass this afternoon. We have given her a benedryl. She is able to blink.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She can swallow, she can breath.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She's drinks ng
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Drinking ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually it looks more like the third eyelid is swollen not the eyeball. Sorry I panicked. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How much blood was seen? A spoonful, more or less?

How much Benadryl did you give? Was it given before or after the vomiting?

What is her weight?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?