Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Chesapeake has eaten a large dog roll with plastic

Customer Question

My Chesapeake has eaten a large dog roll with plastic wrapping last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wolf, age 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Wolf?
Customer: He is a typical chessie and seems to be fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are you talking about one of those food rolls that look like a sausage?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
plastic wrapped. Can't find dog roll or wrapper and Wolf is looking fat. I have given him some salt water to make him sick but it had no affect.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He seems normal and a bit quiet since the salt water

Thanks for the information. Salt water is actually a bad idea. You can cause salt toxicity. Very dangerous. Hydrogen peroxide is the only safe thing at home you can give to induce vomiting. If he was acting normal and had ingested this last night, my first though would be to just monitor him. With his size, chances are that it will pass through but may cause some gastrointestinal upset. If he looks like his abdomen is distended, he starts to vomit, seems very weak, will not eat, has tremors or seizures or has diarrhea/bloody stool; I would have him seen by the vet today. If still acting normal, I would try to get him to drink some fresh water and take him for a walk. Movement may help the intestinal tract to move better and stimulate defecation to help this to pass through. You can also add a tablespoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to each meal to increase fiber to increase fecal bulk and stimulate better intestinal movement and defecation. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Wolf is doing and to see if you have any further questions.