Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She is an English bulldog and woke last night and just

Customer Question

She is an English bulldog and woke last night and just started walking around sniffing and cowering at some of the furniture. She finally went to sleep and awoke acting normal. However, she just had another episode this afternoon. Any idea what could be going on. She is 5 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the English bulldog. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Duchess
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Duchess?
Customer: No. This just started out of the blue
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Duchess. Her change in mentation (mental status) suggests encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as complex partial seizure (previously called petit mal and also called psycomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Duchess's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Duchess should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one (she has) clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this condition treatable? She has an appointment with the vet Monday.

Treatment would be predicated upon the cause of the seizures. For example, if they represent idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy, anticonvulsive drugs are available. If there's a brain tumor underlying the seizures, however, drug therapy is only palliative. MRI is necessary to clarify brain disorders. Basic blood and urine tests are used to identify an extracranial (outside the skull) disorder which is intoxicating the brain. Treatment for extracranial disorders such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys is directed to the poorly functioning organs.

I'm pleased to hear that she'll be attended to shortly. See if you can video her behavior for her vet (and me). This is a good example where a picture is worth 1000 words. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?