Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My father's dog had puppies a few days ago. The last puppy

Customer Question
that she delivered was very...
My father's dog had puppies a few days ago. The last puppy that she delivered was very large and got stuck. They were able to help her deliver the puppy. The puppy died and the mother is very swollen and red on her back in where she delivered the puppy. This morning she's limping on one of her back legs. My father would like to give her penicillin will this be OK if she's nursing her dogs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: He has not seen anything of that nature. He has her in a special above ground pin with her puppies so she's not been out running around where she could've gotten injured.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: I'm not sure what he named her
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the puppy?
Customer: The mother dog the one that is limping is about 14 months old and this is her first set of puppies. My father is very concerned that she might have an infection from the delivery because it was such a traumatic birth with the last one.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you post a picture of her vulva where she is red and swollen?

What breed of dog is she? What breed was she mated with?

I will also need the concentration (mg/mL or mg per tablet/capsule), as well as mom's weight to help you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I'm currently at work and my father does not have a smart phone or a computer would I be able to text you this information this afternoon?

There is an extra charge for texting, but yes.

Alternately, there is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will just send you the info this way when I get to his house

I'll keep an eye out.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian