Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

She has been vomiting for 3 days. She is an 8 yo Boston

Customer Question

She has been vomiting for 3 days. She is an 8 yo Boston Terrier
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boston terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: Bought different dog bones.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about bones?
Customer: Just a generic 5 flavor
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One, so far this morning. 4-5 times per day. Not lethargic yet.no diarrhea no diarrhea that I know.

I am sorry I can not make a live call. But, I can answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out and allow another expert to help you. Please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can communicate by text

Fantastic, just a few more question.

1- Any other symptoms besides the vomiting?

2- What is in the vomit?

3- Is she drinking? If so, is she holding the water down?

4- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sniffing after vomiting and we have to wipe her face a few times after because of mucus. She drinks and still has an appetite. She does not vomit after drinking buns are pink and moist.
Vomit this morning was mucus. Last night her dinner and mucus.

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
23lbs

Thank you for answering all of my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you

Friend, I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. I am going to make some recommendations, if she continues to vomit the next step is a hands-on examination. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting and no exercise.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

If she becomes lethargic, continues to vomit while fasting, develops pale gums, abdominal swelling, etc. do not wait and have her checked immediately by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ruby continues to regurgitate after eating and drinking. Had labs done, no kidney or diabetes. Vet suggested a test on her adrenal glands.

If the adrenal test comes back normal I would discuss with your vet about doing some imaging like xrays or an abdominal ultrasound.