Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an 8 year old mom pin dachshund. He has not been

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old mom pin dachshund. He has not been himself today. He is usually active and hyper. I noticed something was off when he did not react excitedly when I saw him this morning. He has been shaky and almost seems dizzy. I just noticed that his collar looked tight and he reacted in pain when I touched his neck. I managed to remove his collar and feel his neck. Swollen, but no obvious injury. Cannot touch his neck without him wincing and crying out. Not sure what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry Buddy is not feeling well. My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what he is doing that seems dizzy?

2- Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He walks very slow and is shaky. Cannot go up or down steps. No vomiting and has not been eating.

Good morning, can you give me an update on his symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Having to carry him up and down steps. Not very mobile. Just wants to be held. Not hungry. Feels very warm.

Robbi, I am sorry that Buddy is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing can be related to many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are neuromuscular disorders like a pinched nerve in the neck/back as a result of a bulging. Or, he could have something going on systemically like an infection, fever, etc. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having Buddy checked this morning by your family veterinarian. It is important to rule out a bulging disc and start prescription anti-inflammatory medication if needed. Untreated this can progress to paralysis, for this reason best to not wait. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Robbi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter