Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has a small sore on the bottom of his chin, and I think

Customer Question
it's because I give him...
He has a small sore on the bottom of his chin, and I think it's because I give him his kong everyday with a treat and I should have been cleaning the kong more frequently. I live in Saudi Arabia so the vet care isn't the best, ***** ***** am trying to see if there is any home remedies I can use that might help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Romeo and he is about 5 years old, he is a beautiful rescue but he does slobber with that kong alot
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?
Customer: No, he is healthy and isn't on any medications at the moment
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Romeo. Can you post a picture of what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since there isn't much in the way of dog treats here, I bought a real Kong i. The states and I give it to him every night, I have been working a lot of hours and became lax in washing it frequently. He does work at it for quite some time and the skin just looks irritated. It's not a very big area about the size of a dime, and it isn't really raised.

I'm sorry for my delay. Good job on the photo. That area looks irritated. It doesn't look like a more severe infection / sore though. Probably the best thing you can do for him is to take away his kong for a week so he's not chewing on that and having it rub that area. If he is chewing on things and they rub that area, it can keep it irritated. Keeping that area clean and dry is probably the best thing you can do as far as a home remedy attempt. Maybe towel drying his chin area after eating and drinking for a few days. I would be hopeful that keeping it clean and dry will let that irritation go away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Dr Bruce,
He's my best friend here, I only let him have 10 mins of sun in the cooler afternoons, we walk at 5 am and after the sun goes down. We may not have the best vets here, but believe it or not we have a good dog groomer. If it's not mostly gone by the 11th when he goes in for grooming I'll make an appointment with one of the vets on camp. Should I wash it with a little anti bacterial soap and water after he eats? Or is it just better to use plain water? Or just dry his chin after he eats and drinks?

I would feel that just drying the chin area with a dry towel after he eats and drinks would have a lot of help here. If you were to ask it with a little antibacterial soap, just rinse well after and then pat it thoroughly dry. Sometimes the soap can get into the mouth when in that area, so don't be surprised if he salivates if some gets into the oral cavity. Saudi Arabia is one of the areas of the world that sounds very interesting. I probably will never have the chance to get there though! I think that if the area is still present on the 11th or if it is getting bigger / more uncomfortable, then that vet visit would be a good idea.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much, I'll watch it closely

I'm hoping for the best for this little guy! Give him a good ear scratching for me since I can't do it myself.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian