Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Hair loss near tail, looks like blood from vagina, threw up

Customer Question

hair loss near tail, looks like blood from vagina, threw up this morning. was recently treated with anti-inflammatory drug, which I stopped. Dee Dee is a 7 yr old Pomeranian.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not to my knowledge. something white was in the throw up in the shape of a stool. I did give her some white meat from a roasted chicken last night. It was chipotle flavored, but this was just the white meat and not the skin
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dee Dee
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Dee Dee?
Customer: her knee cap went out of place that's why she was taking medicine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dee Dee. My primary concern is her vaginal discharge. If she were in heat a few weeks to 3 months ago, that discharge is likely to represent pyometra - and infectious endometritis. Please let me know if she's unspayed and was in heat recently.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's spayed

Thank you for the additional information. Because she's spayed we need to consider that what you're seeing may indicate bloody urine as seen with a bacterial urinary tract infection, uroliths (urinary stones), or transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra. Her vagina needs to be scoped to see if there is a bleeding tumor or infection (rare in the spayed dog) present.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks. If she's not better I'll take her to her vet.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your help

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This was ok. At least I know what to tell my vet. Thanks

Keep me posted, please.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Doctor!

It's my pleasure.