Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Since my 12 year old Maltese Shitsu spent 11 nights in

Customer Question
Kennels he is continually scratching...
Since my 12 year old Maltese Shitsu spent 11 nights in Kennels he is continually scratching. He has been bathed, groomed, had flea treatment and all his bedding washed. I have continually checked him, including his ears, for signs of any skin problems and can find none.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has Arnie had these signs?
Which flea treatment was used?

Any discharge or odor in his ears?

What areas of his body is he targeting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Arnie has had these systems since I picked him up from the Kennels on the 16th Sept. 2016. He smelt dreadful so I arranged for him to be bathed and groomed on the 21st Sept. 2016 and he had Advantage Flea Treatment the same day. He started scratching as soon as he came home for the Kennels but has got gradually worse. He is scratching at his belly with his back paws. I have been out all day today but my adult granddaughter has checked on him but when I got home I found he has chewed a patch above his hind leg which is now quite bald and looks inflamed. He has also been chewing his paws a lot but had always done this if I have company which I put down to attention seeking. I have checked his ears. There appears to be no problem. I am a single pensioner so him and I spend a lot of time together.

Thank you,

Now my concern with Arnie's signs is that he may have an allergic dermatitis but there is a risk of mites/lice here. All can cause itching without obvious skin changes. In regards ***** ***** these concerns, once it has been 2 weeks since his Advantage treatment it would be ideal to re-treat with a multi-species anti-parasitic (ie Advantage Multi, Revolution, etc). These will tackle the mites/lice and usually we will give 2 treatments 2 weeks apart.

Otherwise to counter an allergy causing this irritation, we'd want to try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Though if he isn't settled with the above, we'd want his vet to check him over to confirm which is present and use stronger anti-inflammatories to counter this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Hi Mararet,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Arnie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian