Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My wife is convinced our pomeraniane is sick.

Customer Question
JA: I'll do all I...
my wife is convinced our pomeraniane is sick.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: shivering/trembling, not eating(but that is nothing new, frequently does not eat when i am away to work)
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Anxious, tail down, looking over her sholder, going forward and then back, like she has in the past when she slips on the laminate mila 4 years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about mila?
Customer: no allergies we are aware of, all up to date on her shots, never goes out side
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Mila who doesn't seem right. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Mila's symptoms could certainly be a sign of an underlying issue here, including anything from an early gastroenteritis, to a musculoskeletal or intervertebral disc issue, or even an internal organ problem, however these symptoms could also be behavioral in nature. You are definitely going to need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl and if she continues to turn her nose up at food and if she seems painful, or continues trembling, then you are best to play it safe an get her seen tonight.

In particular right now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian