Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

He went to bed fine and now is lying on the basement floor

Customer Question

He went to bed fine and now is lying on the basement floor in a pile of drool
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocky age 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: No I can think of nothing ... He has been healthy his whole life, is active and in great shape
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Rocky's condition. Excessive drooling is often a sign of nausea but may also indicate that he may have eaten something that can cause irritation to the mouth and mucus membranes. Is there anything that he may have eaten or gotten into that you think would have irritated his mouth? If there is nothing caustic that he has or could have ben exposed to, I would think that he is nauseous and should be treated by a veterinarian. If there is not an emergency vet open in your area at this time, I recommend taking him to your vet in the morning. Does this help to address your concerns tonight? I am happy to answer your questions until you are satisfied.