Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

His lip is swollen after a walk, Nothing on feet - it's his

Customer Question
His lip is swollen after...
His lip is swollen after a walk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing on feet - it's his lip. I don't see a wound and he is not too concerned about me touching it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Well, let's see - I am in the process of changing his food to a hypoallergenic food recently (duck). I am in the 50/50 stage (50% old kind mixed with 50% new kind). But the swelling came on suddenly - just within the last hour
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

It sounds like he is having an allergic reaction or he was stung by something. Do you have benadryl? How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is 22 pounds and no, I don't have any

Ok I would go to the store and buy 25mg tablets. Give him one now and then repeat every 12 hours until his lip is back to normal. If he will let you hold a cold pack on the lip for 20 minutes every hour until bedtime.

Monitor him for the next 8 hours. If the swelling spreads to the face, his gums turn pale or an abnormal color, he becomes very lethargic and will not get up, or you notice anything else concerning then take him to the ER vet right away because he could be having a severe allergic reaction and need a cortisone shot to stop it.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions for me?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian