Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog swallowed one of my heart pills. 12.5 m of

Customer Question
My dog swallowed one of...
My dog swallowed one of my heart pills. 12.5 m of Metropolal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is Buddy. He's a mix lab/hound about 80 pounds. 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: He's in good health. From time to time he has had seizures.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought Metoprolol is sometimes prescribed for dogs at a dose rate of between 6.25 mg to 25 mg per dog given two to three times daily. Since Buddy is a very much larger dog you can see that the amount he took is well within a published dose rate for dogs so the chances he will be just fine and unaffected by this. There are no special measures you need take in this situation, the seizures should not be a factor by the way.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Buddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

3. Here is a link to an accurate covering how this drug is used in dogs : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian