Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I just gave my 6lb Maltese a 1/4 tsp of Benedryl with

Customer Question

I just gave my 6lb Maltese a 1/4 tsp of Benedryl with phenylephrine in it for a 2 day stuffy nose. also used some saline spray in nostril. Will she be ok with the phenylephrine? WORRIED She is 16 yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: that's it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, such a small amount of phenylephrine is of no consequence. It has a low oral bioavailability and because of that fact the acute oral toxicity is lower for phenylephrine than similar drugs such as pseudoephedrine. To give you idea of how low its oral toxicity is, in rats it would take an enormous 150 mg/lb of body weight to be life-threatening. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.