Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a patient that ate half of a chlorine pool tablet?

Customer Question
Hi...we have a patient that...
Hi...we have a patient that ate half of a chlorine pool tablet? Should we induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 96 pound lab..no oral bleeding...dog is acting normal
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jaspar and 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Jaspar?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will we get an answer soon?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We want to make sure we don't get charged anything..using the free trial.
11/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long since he ate the chlorine pool tablet?

Friend, do Not induce vomiting. The concern with the ingestion of chlorine pool tablets is that it can be very corrosive in the gastrointestinal tract, it will be worse if she vomits and it goes into her lungs. Instead, give her 1 cup of milk to dilute the tablet and protect the gastrointestinal tract. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol. You can start Jaspar on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy. Symptoms that would require a vet visit are abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, excessive drooling, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian