Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

2 year old Rottie..has been on immunosuppressive doses of

Customer Question
prednisone..now developing hair loss and...
2 year old Rottie..has been on immunosuppressive doses of prednisone..now developing hair loss and spots
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can this be medically induced Cushings?
11/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank you

Why is he taking immunosuppressive doses of prednisone? Yes, this could be Cushings symptoms brought on by the prednisone.

But the hair loss could be related to the condition he is taking the prednisone for, or something else.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has masticatory muscle myocitis

The hair loss would not be from MMM. It might be the prednisone causing him to lose his hair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Responded well to the initial dose of 40 mg twice a day in may..reduced to 20 and tapering down as tolerated. He's just recently been lowered from 20 mg every other day, to 10 mg every other day
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought it could've been the prednisone, but the spots were what confused me

Are the areas of hair loss itchy at all? This could be some other skin condition, such as an allergy or infection.

Let me know if this was helpful, and what other questions I can answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not really itchy at all

If he is not itchy, it probably is not due to allergy or skin infection.

Only a skin biopsy or blood tests for Cushing's would tell us if that is the reason for the hair loss, so as you continue to lower the dose of the pred I would hope the hair would start to come back. You can try melatonin for hair growth: 6 mg once to twice daily.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you. How is he doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian