Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

My 6 year old your, My six year old Yorky woke up with a

Customer Question

My 6 year old your
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My six year old Yorky woke up with a limp on his hind leg yesterday I am thinking it may be a soft tissue spring I have been keeping him down and not moving very much he seems to have no other difficulties is there anything I can do should I bring him into a bat thank you very much
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the hind. What is the hind's name?
Customer: He is not lethargic and seems not to be in pain just holding it in limping
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the hind?
Customer: No I'm not sure how this happened
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I am sorry that your little Yorkie is not feeling well. Sometimes it is very difficult to know if your pet is in pain. Sometimes, not using a leg can indicate that the leg is painful, but it is not something you can determine for sure unless you notice crying or wincing when the leg is touched. There are also certain conditions that may cause the a dog to limp that may be temporary. For example, Yorkies and other smaller breed dogs tend to be born with a condition called medial patellar luxation. In this instance, the knee cap can come out of place causing a limp. There are different degrees of this where sometimes it can cause pain or permanent disability. More severe cases may need surgery. A vet would have to determine this. I am not saying that is what your pet has, but it is one possibility to consider. Some other causes may be trauma, infectioun, or a mass that could be growing. Minor trauma could heal on its own with rest. Some mild injuries can get worse with additional activity.

If you want to be sure, I would recommend having him seen by your local vet to see if it is something that needs treatment. As long as he is not in pain as you can tell, you may watch him over the next 24 hours to see if it is improving. If you notice any pain, worsening or no improvement in the next day or so, or if he develops any other signs (not eating, lethargy, open sore, etc) have him evaluated by a vet as soon as possible. I hope that answers your question. Hopefully he starts to feel better soon!

Best,

Dr. Pearl