jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I gave my rustle a half a tab of Imodium. He is not himself

Customer Question

I gave my jack rustle a half a tab of Imodium. He is not himself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He also had a half tab metronidazole 250mg. Both around noon.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He was diagnosed with giardiasis this morning & had diarrhea
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 10 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Immodium can be dangerous to some breeds of dog generally herding breeds that carry the MDR1 mutation. Instead of giving imodium, pick up some canned pumpkin (not pie filling) and put a spoonful on his food. It will absorb excess fluid in the bowels but still keep the feces pliable and firm. With medications, as the giardia starts clearing you may end up with constipation.

In addition to the antibiotic and anti-diarrhea treatment, you need to clean up the yard of all fecal matter. You also need to eliminate any standing water to help prevent reinfection. Cysts are shed in the stool and rain washes over the fecal matter and the cysts are washed into puddles and onto grass where a dog might drink and become reinfected or eat grass and also ingest the cysts thus starting the cycle all over again. So clean up is an important part as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I all ready gave him the Imodium, should I worry about anything, he is very sluggish

It says you gave him the immodium at noon. The normal dosage is
"Dogs: 0.05-0.1 mg/pound by mouth every 8 hours. Treatment should only be needed for 1-2 days. If diarrhea persists or worsens, contact your veterinarian."

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1432

Since it has been over 8 hours since you gave the medication, I don't think your dog being sluggish is due to the immodium unless your dog has some undiagnosed health issues or carries the MDR1 gene mutation. The following page lists breeds commonly affected by the mdr1 gene and shows testing of other breeds such as the jack russel terrier and did not find any carriers of the gene.

https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/cghg/mdr1b.php

If your dog remains sluggish or lethargic, I'd have him seen again by your vet and have bloodwork done to check organ function.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.