Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is a normally 9 lb poodle with a quarter shitzu. We took

Customer Question
her to vet a week...
She is a normally 9 lb poodle with a quarter shitzu. We took her to vet a week and a half ago. They did blood tests that came back normal. But she has conjunctivitis won't eat, won't get up at all. She just lays there sleeping all day. I have been getting her to eat tiny bits of chicken and using calorie paste once a day. I have been rinsing her eyes and using a conjunctive eye med i bought on amazon. when I stand her up to take her potty she is shaky and has been since this all started about three weeks ago. Lsat night her breathing became very labored while she was sleeping. Today she has continued to breath labored, but only in her sleep. Her gums are a light pink, her temp has stayed at 103. throughout.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the poodle. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Her name is Lulu
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?
Customer: She had three tiny mammary tumors removed last year. They have not come back. Other than that she has always had lots of energy and is a very sweet cuddly dog. She also turned 8yrs old this year!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ,ight also add that when I said normally 9lbs, she is just skin and bones right now. After she was fixed which was also when her tumors were removed she gained a few more pounds than she was previously! She is current on shots as well. The vet that we took her to offered that it is probably just a virus and will go away on its own. We were a little disappointed that he was not alarmed at her weight loss, or the yellowish thick goo coming from her eyes. We just want her to be better. She does moan under her breath when she moves in the slightest. I have been positioning her and then she goes back to sleep. Hope this helps with this helps with the mystery. Thanks again!!
11/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago
Ronald Reupert

Hi. My name is***** am a licensed vet with 33 yrs experience.

It sounds to me like Lulu has an infection, but not sure what. The conjunctivitis may be a number of things, but is probably being aggravated by being dehydrated. I would make sure she is well hydrated. Beef or chicken broth with a small amount of liver sausage added for flavor may get her to drink more. Otherwise you can easily force feed unflavored pedialyte from the pharmacy, using a 10ml oral dose syringe. Give her 20-30 ml every couple hours.

The conjunctivitis should also be treated with an artificial tear that you can get over the counter. It sounds to me like she may also have "dry eye" a specific type of conjunctivitis with large amounts of mucous produced. There is an easy test for this that your vet can do.

The fever of 103 is a concern. Viral infections are usually short lived, so if it persists I would become suspicious of a bacterial infection. I would be tempted to repeat the cbc portion of the blood work. and possibly a blood culture if the fever and body aches don't resolve. An antibiotic may be indicated.

If you have questions please write back

Thanks

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian