Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our vet did a 4DX SNAP test and said our dog came back

Customer Question
positive for Lyme disease....
Our vet did a 4DX SNAP test and said our dog came back positive for Lyme disease. we have researched and it's confusing. she is not showing any symptoms of the disease. Treatment recommended will run about $500 now - $300 every 6 months - we aren't sure what to do as we have read that dogs build antibodies and may not become symptomatic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: 3.5 years old - a shorky - healthy appetite, very active,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian

Hello, I will try to answer your question. If it is true that your pet has lyme disease, it is crucial to treat. That being said, it is important to assess a test based on history. It is important to know why the test was being done in the first place for Daisy. Was the veterinarian looking for lyme disease because of suspected signs? It seems to be an incidental finding as you noted that your pet is not symptomatic. Daisy will have to have been exposed to an infectious tick to get Lyme disease. It's possible she did have exposure. If the chances are rare, and she is not showing any signs, you may opt for a repeat test to confirm as not all tests are 100% accurate. Also, you may talk to your vet about additional blood tests to confirm for lyme disease (in addition to snap test, there are other tests you can do by submitting your pet's blood to a lab). Then if you are still getting positive tests, you may elect to treat even though Daisy is not symptomatic because the symptoms can be very severe. Hopefully this helps you make a decision on what to do!

Good luck,

Dr. Pearl

Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian