Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog just threw up a pile of red acidic, metallic smelling vomit He has a ton of stress but this is the first time it has

Customer Question
He just threw up a...
He just threw up a pile of red acidic, metallic smelling vomit He has a ton of stress but this is the first time it has been red
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He was outside - there is a possibility it could be a small animal - we live in the country
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maverick
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maverick?
Customer: He vomits regularly when he gets emotionally stressed which is a lot
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your dog Maverick.

I am concerned based on your description that your dog has vomited blood. Is there any chance he could have eaten something red in color?

If not, then the red color and metallic smell could indicate bleeding in the stomach or upper GI tract. The most common cause of this would be a bleeding stomach ulcer. This is a problem that we treat with prescription medication, so you will need to make an appointment with your vet to have your dog examined. If there is any chance that your dog could have ingested rodent bait/poison, then this is also a possibility for a cause of GI bleeding. If that is the case, I would recommend bringing your dog in right away for an exam and bloodwork.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian