Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is acting like she has a very bad stomach ache she

Customer Question
threw up a couple of...
my dog is acting like she has a very bad stomach ache she threw up a couple of times she is drewling and whimpering like it really hurts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: she hasn't eaten at all today
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lucy she's 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lucy?
Customer: she's trys to bite her butt and chew on the leg of the chair
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Lucy is not feeling well, My name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Breed?

5- Pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we don't think she ate anything it's been going on for about 4 hours she weigh's 10lbs and she's a shih tzu she just had a check up last week and she was doing fine

1- Any diarrhea?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lucy seems to be getting better i gave her pepto bismal and a few droppers full of water she was dreweling so much i though maybe she was getting dehydrated.

I am happy to learn she is doing better. I would not give her anymore Pepto Bismol. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian