Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has developed a red bumpy growth on the side of her

Customer Question
nose....it appeared overnight JA: I'm sorry...
My dog has developed a red bumpy growth on the side of her nose....it appeared overnight
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about a year and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tia?
Customer: She seems very sluggish, but it's hard to tell right now because it's nap time
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You're likely to be describing a histiocytoma - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (sorry for the pedantry). It's common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this growth to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Here's one common appearance of a histiocytoma:

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian