Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dachshund had a fever of 105 on Friday and was diagnosed

Customer Question

My dachshund had a fever of 105 on Friday and was diagnosed with pancreatitis by the vet. His fever spiked that night to 106. It took 12 hours at an er vet, Iv fluids wrapped in an ice pack and a fan blowing on him to bring it down. He is home now with lots of meds but is still lethargic and weak. How and when will I know if there is any long term damage? Do you think there will be with such a high fever for so long??
JA: I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: He was hospitalized for a little over 24 hours
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dachshund?
Customer: He has never had any health issues. He is 12 and weighs 17lbs. Very healthy. The vet is pretty sure he had a seizure due to the fever on Friday cause he was laying in the middle of vomit and very disoriented when my husband found him. But didn't have another one.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His name is Raider
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so very sorry no expert has assisted you yet today and that Raider has had such a challenging week. I am not surprised he is so terribly weak from the events he has experienced, a high fever related to pancreatitis is highly unusual unless he had a pancreatic abscess but his bloodwork should be rechecked tomorrow to see if the kidney and liver values are stable after the high fever because often we will see a fairly acute response to organ function of 48-72 hours if there is damage.

Fingers crossed he will only continue to gain strength and not have complications from the fever and pancreatitis, especially not diabetes which can result

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, you are in my thoughts

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman