Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

5 yer old begles hind legs shook for about five seconds then

Customer Question
after she cried softy...
5 yer old begles hind legs shook for about five seconds then after she cried softy and howled very low asig asking for help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the hind's name and age?
Customer: Stevie is a female rescue about five first time she made
JA: How old is Stevie?
Customer: about five
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stevie?
Customer: one hind leg shook very briefly one other time otherwise no sign of s
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is she spayed?

Is she able to walk?

Has she been eating and drinking?

Has she had bloodwork done recently?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any possible toxic ingestion?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please call
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dog spayed good blood work recently no other health problems concerned about sad howl I never heard before after hind legs shook for a few seconds
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All behavior normal no vomiting normal eating and drinking playful

Hi again,

I'm not in a position to make a phone call. Beagles are prone to disc issues such as Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD). It can occur without injury being involved and can be a degenerative issue in beagles. The trembling and vocalization is likely due to pain. With a disc issue, a dog may move around mostly normal but then move in one particular way that leads to sudden pain. Usually in cases like this a dog will start to avoid jumping and using stairs as the pain increases.

An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If this is the issue, I would have her checked over as soon as you can to stop the progression of disease. Read more on treatment here:

http://www.doxierescue.com/IVDD_Treatment_Options.html

That site goes over the condition in dachshunds but it is the same regardless of breed.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner