Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I had my 16 lb dog eat my jardiance 25mg pill just a while

Customer Question

I had my 16 lb dog eat my jardiance 25mg pill just a while ago and I am concerned what will happen to her.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: nothing right now. I dropped the pill when I was taking my medicine and she got it before I could. she is 6 month old mix bread dog.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I am worried her blood sugar will drop very low and she will go into a coma or something.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no it has only been about 15 minutes.
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: She ate before she ate the pill.
JA: OK, abnormal eating. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Her dad is Chihuahua and her mom was Italian greyhound and Yorkie so she is very hyper. She is current on all shots and is recently spayed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we don't have a safe dose range for jardiance in dogs since it is not a drug we use with them. Therefore, there is a risk this could drop her blood glucose and cause weakness, wobbliness, seizures, or collapse. Therefore, if she just had this, we'd want to counter it quick.

To start, we can induce vomiting if its been less then 2 hours. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled but also keep her blood sugar up. And of course, any struggles with the above or any signs as I noted and we'd want her seen urgently for stomach decontamination +/- fluids with dextrose to keep her blood sugar up for her.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )