Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My shepard is about 12 yrs old and has a bump under her fur

Customer Question

My shepard is about 12 yrs old and has a bump under her fur on her leg and her foot/paw on top . Can I give her penicillin vk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Seems to be a lump that's on top and not from a wound seeing that it's in two places same leg.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Angel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: No that's it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she had the lump?

2- Is the lump below or above the skin?

3- Is it bothering her?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure maybe a week. it is below her skin. It's seems like it's making her limp.

1- Is it easily movable with the skin or is it firmly attach to the underlying tissue?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not sure

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering my questions.

Friend, I believe the lump that you are seeing might be a tumor. In dogs, they can develop benign or malignant type lumps. In response to your question, I would not give penicillin vk, it will not help, I am sorry. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to tell you the type of lump, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter