Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My shepard is about 12 yrs old and has a bump under her fur

Customer Question
on her leg and her...
My shepard is about 12 yrs old and has a bump under her fur on her leg and her foot/paw on top . Can I give her penicillin vk
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Seems to be a lump that's on top and not from a wound seeing that it's in two places same leg.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Angel
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Angel?
Customer: No that's it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has she had the lump?

2- Is the lump below or above the skin?

3- Is it bothering her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure maybe a week. it is below her skin. It's seems like it's making her limp.

1- Is it easily movable with the skin or is it firmly attach to the underlying tissue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you for answering my questions.

Friend, I believe the lump that you are seeing might be a tumor. In dogs, they can develop benign or malignant type lumps. In response to your question, I would not give penicillin vk, it will not help, I am sorry. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to tell you the type of lump, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian