Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Yorki Poo started retching all of a sudden and has up

Customer Question
My Yorki Poo started retching...
My Yorki Poo started retching all of a sudden and has spit up white foam 2 or 3 times. He was fine until about 20 minutes ago when this started. Otherwise he seems okay.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Toby is almost 3.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: No, he's always been very healthy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your that has just been sent through to me. I am sorry there hasn't been an expert available to answer your question already. Does it seem like your boy is coughing up this foam, or vomiting it up?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Coughing it up, but he has stopped now.

Ok thanks for that - I'm typing up a response now and will have something with you in a couple of minutes.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could have caused this sudden retching and coughing. Hopefully Toby is up to date with his vaccinations including intranasal vaccine for bordetella (canine influenza). If this just seems to be a one off, then this could have been due to anything from a piece of food stuck over his soft palate, an irritation at the back of his throat, or even an environmental allergy. You will need to keep a close on Toby, and if this coughing starts up again and continues tonight, then you definitely get him seen first thing tomorrow. Here your local vet can have a careful listen to his chest and check his temperature. If canine influenza is suspected, it will be important for him to have a course of antibiotics and stay away from other dogs for a week or two.

In the meantime, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian