Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy ate a tiny piece of gum he found in the grass. I was

Customer Question

Puppy ate a tiny piece of gum he found in the grass. I was able to pull most of it out of his mouth. Is this toxic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he get this?

Was it chewed? Any idea of the brand?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He got this about 10 minutes ago the gym was chewed and it was found buried in the grass so I have no idea what type of gum it was. He weighs about 20 pounds. He got a small amount in his mouth and from that I was able to pull most of it out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if we don't know what kind it was (and most importantly whether it has xylitol), then we need to tread with care. He is quite small so even a small amount of a fresh gum with that dangerous artificial sugar could possibly cause harm. Therefore, we'd want to err on the side of caution while keeping a close eye on him.

First with this just having happened, you can induce vomiting to get this back up. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if we did see any weakness, collapse, yellow gums or severe GI upste, we'd want to plan to have him seen right away.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )