Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is peeing more and drinking more too. He has been

Customer Question
sick a couple of times...
My dog is peeing more and drinking more too. He has been sick a couple of times too. He is wanting to be outside a lot, sometimes just stays outside too. We have taken him to the vets and they gave him a antibiotic injection on Tuesday. He has been sick again this morning. Is this a result of the injection on Tuesday?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did your vet do any testing like blood work and x-rays?

2- What is the name of the antibiotic he was given?

3- Is he on any medications at home?

4- Was he seen by your vet because he was drinking and urinating more?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, they just gave him an anti biotic injection.
I'm not sure the name of the antibiotic
He's not on any medication
He was see for his anal glands. He is drinking more

I am confused, when he was seen by your vet was he seen because he was drinking more or because of the anal glands?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Initially the anal glands (which are now fine) but leading up to the appointment we noticed he had started drinking and peeing more. Along with this, he wanted to you outside just to lay there we think coz it was cool

Lucy, thank you for the clarification. In response to your question, an injection of antibiotics should not cause your dog to urinate and drink more than usual. However, there are medications like corticosteroids that we sometimes use to treat anal gland disorders that can make a dog drink more than usual and as a result urinate more than usual. It is also important to remember that there are medical conditions that would cause a dog to drink more than usual. For example, patients with diabetes, cushing's syndrome, tumors, infections, etc. do drink more than usual as a result of the disease itself. So, I would recommend you phone your family vet and find out specifically the type of injection that he received. If your vet did not give any corticosteroids I would discuss with your vet about doing some blood work and urinalysis as an initial screening test to rule out the above-mentioned diseases. The fact that he was sick points more toward another underlying disorder as described above. Until you speak or see his vet I would change his diet to a bland diet of rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. You can also start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Lucy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian