Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dogs have eaten approx 140grams of jelly beans between

Customer Question

Our dogs have eaten approx 140grams of jelly beans between the two of them. They are both only 5kg each (Moodles) Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: One of them has already vomitied the beans back up. Both look fine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can you confirm these weren't sugar free (with xylitol) jelly beans?

How many hours ago do you think they had these?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are not sugar free but half of the label is missing so I can't tell if xylitol was in the ingredients. They are black cola flavored beans. My guess would be in the last hour or so.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if there is any chance of xylitol in this, we need to tread with care. If the label is missing, you may need to look up the brand and its ingredients to make sure. Otherwise, we want to keep an eye for the next hour for any wobbliness, weakness, or collapse (as xylitol can crash the blood sugar as well as harm the liver). Any signs of that and we'd want them seen by their vet.

Otherwise, we have a few options. Considering the time frame, we could try to induce vomiting for the dog that didn’t already bring up some of the jelly beans. If you wish to do so, you can induce vomiting by giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered.

If you didn't wish to do that, then we can keep monitoring them at this point. Since one has vomited, we can try to offset GI upset via offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep each dog’s stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, jelly beans that don't have xylitol tend to be low risk for our dogs and even less when the dose is divided by two of them. So, its worth checking that brand and its ingredients to be safe. Otherwise, we can use one or both of the above approaches as we monitor to counter any harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found the rest of the label and i can't see that Xylitol is in it but i will still search the product online to double check. So you suggest if there is no xylitol in it that we should just monitor them? rather than induce vomiting?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Perfect, double checking that is ideal.

And if there is no xylitol we can monitor them. Though any xylitol and we'd be best for an urgent check +/- fluids to counter any risk from that dog toxic artificial sugar.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If they appear fine should I let them eat dinner as normal?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

You can try them with a small meal of their own or one of the light diet option I mentioned. If they keep that down, we can go back to their normal food/volume tomorrow.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks so much! :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best for your wee ones,

Dr. B.