Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

French bulldog eats callery pears and is vomiting. Ate his…

Customer Question
French bulldog eats callery...

French bulldog eats callery pears and is vomiting. Ate his dinner a threw it up thirty minutes later

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the French bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the French bulldog's name and age?

Obi 8 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Obi?

No. Very healthy otherwise

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There seems to be varying degrees of opinion on toxicity for the callery (Bradford) pear but general consensus is that the fruit should not be eaten and can be toxic to dogs with symptoms usually involving vomiting and diarrhea. There is rumor online of a report that UC Davis did over the pear and considered it to be a major toxin to dogs with risk of death, but the article is no longer available. In any case, a physical exam with your vet would be wise due to the health risk, obvious symptoms and Obi's propensity for eating them.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Obi feeling today?