Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 14 year old yorkie-poo. He either has a collapsing

Customer Question
Hi, we have a 14...
Hi, we have a 14 year old yorkie-poo. He either has a collapsing trachea and/or fluid in lung(s)? One vet saw the trachea on an xray. Was giving tramadol and/or temmeril for pain and/or cough suppressant. Went to a holistic vet about a week ago and have been giving him Lasix and a variety of supplements to help thyroid, lungs, heart. I'm not sure if he started before the supplements but he is drinking very excessively and urinating as well. I might've caught the last time today .. i.e. seeing it more clear. So I'm wondering if maybe kidney function or diabetes. Also he didn't keep down the food(chicken) I was hiding the supplements in today. He has been doing the goose honk for 3-4 months and it looks painful at its worst. He sort whines/winces trying to clear his throat etc. thanks...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: That is about all I can think of. He lost his hearing in the last year and his vision has been getting worse for a few years.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ripley
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I"m sorry to hear of this with Ripley. The diuretic Lasix will cause both polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyuria (increased volume of urine) but if Ripley were polydipsic/polyuric prior to being administered that diuretic, there are quite a few considerations.

These are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Ripley's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying.

If there's fluid in the lungs (congestive heart failure, usually) renal insufficiency becomes the most important differential because patients will a failing heart often also suffer from failing kidneys. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian