Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy is 7 weeks old and he ate some cat littier what can

Customer Question

Hello my puppy is 7 weeks old and he ate some cat littier what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jeter
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jeter?
Customer: Well I took him to the vet around 1 they gave him a shoot to help him with his vomit
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When was this consumed?

Was this clay litter? If so, clumping or non-clumping?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It was this afternoon it was clumping
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
At the vet they give him a shoot of cerenia inj 10mg/ml

The most important thing right now is to try to get as much fluid into his intestines as you can to help water down the clumping litter. Left to it's own devices, this may clump in the intestines and cause a gastric blockage. The cerenia that was given will help with any vomiting for 24 hours.

You can use watered down milk, chicken broth, etc. Aim for at least 1 cup per 20 pounds of body weight every 2-4 hours around the clock. If vomiting begins again, he's not taking in any food or water, intestinal cramping begins, etc. he needs to be seen by your veterinarian again. At that point a barium series may be needed to determine if a blockage has occurred and if there is a need for surgical approach. You can also feed boiled rice and chicken to help move the clay through the bowels.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He start vomiting again and he has been going poop. Is ok if I give him chicken broth at his age only 7 weeks

Chicken broth is fine regardless of age.

When did the vomiting occur in relation to the cerenia shot?

How many hours since he last vomited?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He just vomit

How long ago was the cerenia injection given?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The shoot was given at 2pm

It's been long enough that you should be seeing benefits. If the vomiting persists, you're going to need to have him examined again. Often when we see breakthrough vomiting with cerenia, it's time to move on to more diagnostics to determine if a blockage has occurred. If this persists tonight, I would urge you to have him examined and treated at the ER this evening. Failing this, he needs to return to your vet's office tomorrow morning for continued therapy and diagnostics.