Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog ate or licked rat poison what can I do, If

Customer Question
I think my dog ate...
I think my dog ate or licked rat poison what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?
Customer: If she ate it I'm not sure just seen her lick it it's called ramik green
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about ramik?
Customer: It rat and mice poison
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

That product contains diphacinone - an anticoagulant rodenticide which when ingested in excess can cause uncontrolled bleeding. Deaths can occur in dogs if as little as 6.2 ounces is ingested in a 22 lb dog. Simply licking the product won't reach that level. How much does she weigh, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She weighs 46 lbs n is a pitt bull n lab mix

Thank you! She would have needed to ingest at least 12 ounces of this rodenticide to become life-threatening. She could still suffer bleeding within 4 days of ingestion. How long ago could she have ingested that poison?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 20 mins ago n from what I'm thinkin she just licked it !! We read other things n it said try n make dog puke ! So it said try n make her eat grass which she did a lil outta my hand n that was couple hand fulls n also say give her 2 teaspoons of (rubbin alcohol or whatever the name is ***** ***** brown bottle that u buy at stores ) she cough probly like 4/5 times n that was before I feed her grass she seems fine for now ! She sleepin in my bed with me so I figure I'll put bowl of water in there cus they say rat poison makes the animal thrusty ! But I'll try to keep an eye on her tonight n see what she does ! But what do you think of all the things I did to help ?

If she just licked it, she'll remain well. You're describing 3% hydrogen peroxide which when dosed at 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon) per 5 lbs of body weight can induce emesis. Rat poison only makes my patient thirsty if she's bleeding internally and becoming dehydrated! It sounds like she bit the bullet. While unlikely, watch for bleeding from any orifice and an increased respiratory rate indicating bleeding into her chest cavity. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea well a course this comes to me threw tx messages once you reply bak then I see your comment ! Jw say tom or the next day can I still go on this page n update you on her status ? Right now she seems fine but also I think she just licked it cus I saw floor wet but I wanna make sure everything is fine cus yes it's my dog but how long can this stuff stay In he system to where there's no worries ?

The rodenticide doesn't stay in her system but for a few hours but the effect can cause bleeding up to 4 days post-ingestion. You can have her vet test your dog's clotting times 48 hours after possible ingestion. If she's clotting in a normal period of time, she'll remain well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
your sayin keep very close attention to her for next 4 days if any signs take her to vet ! But also what can a vet to about it to save her ! Idk if you guys have somfin else to prevent it or not I'm with her right now n she seems normal even after grass n the alcohol stuff !! But I honestly think she'll
Be okay so I hope cus i think she just licked it !! But otherwise I'll take her to vet !! But okay thanks for the advice I'll watch her close ! See yah

A vet can give the antidote - vitamin K - and correct dehydration if present.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You're welcome. Keep me posted, please. No need to reply at this time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian