Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Mickey has many small bumps/rash that covers his

Customer Question

My dog Mickey has many small bumps/rash that covers his stomach...they are not very raised He has also thrown up several times today...even though the rash showed up a few days ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mickey?
Customer: He eats Blue Buffalo dog food! He was tolerating it well previously but all of a sudden he doesnt seem to keep much down. He still has energy though and seems happy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I gave him 25mg of benadryl last night and he is 50 pounds. Bumps have not changed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Are they pimple like or flesh colored bumps?

Did the vomiting start before or after the Benadryl?

Could he have eaten anything he is sensitive to? Or been in contact (ie plants, sprays/powder/etc. used at home)?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The bumps are like a pimple but not very raised (hardly at all). The vomiting started about 24 hours after we gave him the Benadryl, but we also switched him from Blue Buffalo "Healthy Weight" food to Blue buffalo "Large Breed" dog food. Since I took this picture of his bumbs a couple days ago, they have been unchanged
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the photo, I don't see any convincing pustules/pimples. Therefore, this does make this less likely to be bacterial in origin. Instead, it does look more like an allergic reaction possibly a contact allergy give its distribution and location.

With this in mind, your use of Benadryl was appropriate, though it was quite a low dose. Often we do need to use a bit of a higher dose for sudden onset allergic reactions. So, if he is 50lbs, you can use 50-100 mg of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) every 8 hours. As well, you can plan to cleanse this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and if it is itchy for him then you can use an OTC hydrocortisone cream on these areas. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma and licking, after all this we can put an e-collar on him or use a pair of boxer shorts (turned backwards so there is a tail hole) as a breathable cover to protect this. Of course, if it doesn't respond to the above, we may need his local vet to dispense a short course of steroids to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My dog keeps throwing up him food though, any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

If he is still vomiting, then you can try some symptomatic care for that as well.

To start, you can use an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.