Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Lethargic, cant walk well like hes sore, keeps left back leg

Customer Question

lethargic, cant walk well like hes sore, keeps left back leg off ground. tail between legs, . he ate, sipped water bout 2 hrs ago. will wag tail bit. no discharges, no vomiting. notices he wasnt frolicing yesterday, noon today couldnt stand. hes a 5 yr old healthy papered english lab. no meds. no medical problems. did shiver or shake a bit 1x for 5 min, no breathing problems. i touched all his boy parts now complaints, no signs of swelling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: nope
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im thinking lyme disease. Ill be calling my vet in am. His left side fron and back seem to be the worse side. he very somber, will lift his head if i say cookie, wag tail bit when laying down. if i pull him up to stand tail tucked and off kilter,cant bal like hes super sore but we/he didnt do anything different in sence didnt hike a mtn yesterday
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have you witnessed any recent injury or exertion?
2) Are ticks a problem in your area?
3) Has he been vaccinated against Lyme disease?
4) How old is he?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No on injury and extertion. Yes we have tics, not been vaccinated for lyme which I think is his problem. Hes 5

You are certainly describing what could be symptoms of a tick borne illness with him walking and holding his body in a gingerly fashion. If Lyme is prevalent in your area, your vet can perform one of two tests easily. The first is a heart worm test that also checks for lyme and the other is a tick panel which is a bit broader checking for lyme and a few other tick borne illnesses. Depending on your location, this one may be more useful if Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is a local concern as this is not something the heart worm test checks for. If this is tick borne illness related, treatment usually involves oral antibiotics, canine-safe NSAIDs and pain medication for a few days before the pet begins to improve. Your vet may also recommend x-rays of the neck and rear limbs if the tick-related illnesses are ruled out to ensure that an injury has not occurred. In any case, rest will be recommended during his recovery period to decrease the risk of over-exertion and making things worse.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800