Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a pomerianian, last week she lost feelin of her back

Customer Question

hi, I have a pomerianian, last week she lost feelin of her back two legs I brought her to the vet, the vet said it could possibly be a disc problem she kept her over the weekend and injected her with steroids made her stomach and bladder so much worse. but now shes healthy minus the loss of use in her legs she has uncontrollable bladder and bowl moment she's crawling using her front two paws its been a week.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: baya 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about baya?
Customer: she has history of seizures and heart worms
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Baya. Unfortunately, her poor response to therapy over a week's time indicates that she's a candidate for surgical decompression of her spinal cord. Her urinary and fecal incontinence are negative prognosticators for her functional recovery. For dogs that have lost motor function the single most important aspect of treatment is bladder management to reduce the risk of urinary tract infection and bladder detrusor muscle damage from chronic overdistention. This may entail manual expression of the bladder every 4-6 hours or catherterization.

I understand that you have a difficult decision to make at this time - particularly because of her history of seizures and heartworms (active?). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.