Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 almost 11 year old dachshund is having not quite runny

Customer Question
stool more like mucus type...
My 10 almost 11 year old dachshund is having not quite runny stool more like mucus type and there is blood present. He has been going potty inside which is not normal these past few days. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: Umm, he sleeps basically all day. Goes outside regularly, no change in diet, the only times he is slightly active is when I come home from work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago
Jennifer Welsh

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how long has this been going on for?

any chance he got into anything he wasn't supposed to?

any new food or treats?

is he still eating and drinking and acting ok?

any current meds or illness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No meds and no recent illness. We don't feed him people food and he has no access to any, no change in food or treats and he's never had anything happen with them. And the pooping inside thing is new, just the past three days, he hasn't been as active or eating as much as usual the past maybe week and he doesn't get up to drink a lot.
Dog Veterinarian: Jennifer Welsh,
 replied 1 year ago

ok thank you for that additional information. from what you are describing I think it may be time to check out the vet and get a physical and maybe fecal done. also possible checking for giardia as well. I wouldn't be too concerned except that once you get blood into it, coupled with the lethargy and not eating as much there may be more going on then just runny stool. What I would recommend is trying a bland diet (boiled skinless chicken breast and rice, nothing added, no seasoning, nothing) and see if that helps to ease his tummy down. However, what you are describing and going in the house, he may need some medications and a probiotic to help resolve this. but i'd like to get a good physical and some baseline testing done first esp with him being a little older to make sure it isn't anything else to be worried about. I'd recommend trying the bland diet, add in famotidine (generic for pepcid, you can get generic store brand) if you give me his weight i can give you a dose) as well as make an appt to get him in to be seen to make sure there isn't anything else going on that we need to be concerned about.

Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh