Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dog has chf and recently started on spirmonalactone hctz

Customer Question

dog has chf and recently started on spirmonalactone hctz (sorry for the bad spelling) and since he has been on this new medication (about 5 weeks) he has had 3 episodes where his hind legs seem to lock at the knee joints, has bouts of panting but has in a couple of hours recuperated to "normal". wondering if this could be a side affect of the new medication.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: ozzi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about ozzi?
Customer: he is a regular visitor of his vet since he has his belly drained (abdimonsintecis) about every 14 days due to chf. other than the recent episodes he is still doing ok with the disease.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ozzi. The adverse effects of that diuretic combination are usually considered mild and reversible upon discontinuation of the drug. Gastrointestinal side effects, anorexia, and electrolyte (elevated serum potassium level, decreased serum sodium level) and water balance (dehydration) abnormalities are the most likely adverse effects. In dogs, however, electrolytes don't appear to be significantly altered. I would look elsewhere for the cause of his "hind legs locking" and panting. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.