Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 14 year old dog has been panting all night does not stop

Customer Question
only to swallow. The house...
My 14 year old dog has been panting all night does not stop only to swallow. The house is cool and temperature outside is about 65,now in Florida,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 1 year ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Constant panting can happen with fear or pain , not necessarily due to heat.

If you know of no changes in her life that has stressed or frightened her then given her age I would suspect something to do with health.

What I would do is take her vital signs to check if this is an emergency. Check gum color, capillary refill time , and temperature.

I will direct you to a site to take you through this.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs-heart-rate-breathing-rate-and-temperature

If all of those check out okay and this does not go away I would seek a hands on exam by your Vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant