PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My toy aussie is on vetmedin for her heart. Two days ago put

Customer Question

My toy aussie is on vetmedin for her heart. Two days ago put advantix on her. She's reacting to the topical with terrible itching so have her a bath tonight and didn't help. Still itching terribly. Can I give her benadryl to see if it helps with the itching, or will it react with the vetmedin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pocket.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pocket?
Customer: I don't think so, she's 10 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has she had advantix applied in the past?
2) Was she due for a dose or had you observed fleas?
3) What shampoo/soap did you use to bathe her?

The drug company specifically mentions that it is safe for diphenhydramine (benadryl) to be used with pimobendan (vetmedin). You can give her 1-2mg/pound of body weight every 8-12 hours for itching.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Checking in, RD. How is Pocket doing?