Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Have a 13 yrs. BORDER Collie with HX. L. ACL tear and Senial

Customer Question

Have a 13 yrs. BORDER Collie with HX. L. ACL tear and Senial Vestibular Disease in Feb. I want to use prednisone for inflammation and pain with intermittent lameness in knee. Vet will only prescribe prednisone 10 MG burst, tapering for residual of SVD. (Some bilateral leg weakness.) Is currently on enteric ASA BID, but it's inadequate. What is therapeutic dose for knee? I wish her to be on it chronically and as an NP know what to watch for.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Maeve has vestibular disease, and an ACL tear.

You are using abbreviations I don't know! What is NP and SVD? Sorry, I am terrible with abbreviations, and these are not ones commonly used in veterinary medicine.

Usually it is not recommend to give prednisone with aspirin since both can cause GI bleeding and ulcers. Any dose of aspirin in dogs will cause at least microscopic hemorrhage, so adding prednisone can increase the chances of a problem with bleeding, ulcers, vomiting and diarrhea. Why not use an NSAID (nonsteroidal inflammatory drug) made for dogs?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

How is Maeve doing? I have not heard back from you. Can I help with or answer anything else?