Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the dosage for a 65lb dog for dexamethasone sodium

Customer Question
phosphate? It is for his...
what is the dosage for a 65lb dog for dexamethasone sodium phosphate? It is for his skin allergy acting up. have a call into the vet but no call back yet. he is miserable. English bulldog with bad skin allergy
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about into?
Customer: he is rubbing his face raw and his skin is covered with crusty itchy spots that when brushed his hair falls out of the area
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is into?
Customer: he doesn't have one flea on him. its a skin allergy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Christi Belew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. Using the Dex SP once to help relieve the itchiness until your vet calls back is ok, but please do not use repeated doses until speaking with your vet. I do not know your pets history or if recent blood work has been done. For a 65 lb dog, using Dex SP (that is 4 mg per dose), I would give 1 mg orally.

I would make sure your vet does a skin scrape and if it hasn't been checked recently, a thyroid level.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is an injection that cannot be given orally. 2mg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He doesn't have a thyroid issue. He goes about once a year and gets a steroid injection because his allergies have gotten really bad. I have the injection but do not have the box that the rx was written on.

Your vet sent you with the steroid injection to give, but gave you a multi-dose syringe? Typically, if I have a client giving an injection at home, they are given one syringe with the full dose present. Dex SP comes only as a 4 mg/ml. There is Dex that is 2 mg/ml. Given the potential for confusion, I would highly recommend that you wait for your vet to call back, especially since you do not have the box it came in. As I said, I typically would give a 65 lb dog 1 mg of Dex (the amount depends on the strength you have).

I mention thyroid because it is highly common in this breed and exacerbates skin issues (and prevents them from healing well from the skin issues). The veterinary dermatologists highly advocate checking it on chronic, recurrent skin allergy patients.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for answering my question and clarifying that the oral dosage and the injected dosage are the same.

I apologize for the confusion on my end as well! Are there any other questions I can answer for you?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Christi Belew
Christi Belew
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian