Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

We just adopted a 11 week old multipoo puppy lasr week. He

Customer Question

We just adopted a 11 week old multipoo puppy lasr week. He has had dharia since we got him and has not been eating much and almost nothing for last day or so . We took him to hospital last night. Parvo was negative but blodd suger was low (40). They gave him Ivy and we brought him home. He is very weak now. We cannot afford hospitalization or further treatment. The breeder is not answeing our calls and emails. Can you suggest anything?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your puppy. I am concerned his blood sugar could be low once again. Has he had anything orally/to eat this evening?

Expert:  Jess K replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately I am getting ready to sign off for the night, so I am going to open your question back up in case you come back online later and another expert can help you.

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I wanted to see if you were still in need of assistance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is not eating food or drink water any more. We are now feeding him water and chicken soup by an applicator and apply honey to his gum. He still seems to be very week. We noticed blood in his stool on Sunday before taking him to hospital. But we have not noticed blood yesterday and today. He was negative for Parvo virus.

Ok, so with diarrhea in a young puppy that is parvo negative, we worry about severe intestinal parasites. Have you been able to contact your regular veterinarian to discuss deworming for intestinal parasites? A lot of times parasites like Giardia or Coccidia can make these babies really sick and once we start clearing the parasites from their GI tract, they start to improve.

If cost is a concern, you can see if there is an ASPCA in your area, they offer low cost medical services. There are also organizations like Frankie's Friends who can help with care.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.