Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Standard poodle. 11 years SF. hw neg. Last bloodwork was 2

Customer Question
yrs ago...CBC and 12 Chem...
Standard poodle. 11 years SF. hw neg. Last bloodwork was 2 yrs ago...CBC and 12 Chem (normal). History of gagging on tracheal palpation (assumed collapsing trachea). Today we have a deep wet cough resulting in vomiting white foam. mm=pink temp 103.9 CRT < 2 & BAR. Haven't tried to offer dinner yet... Worried worried worried :(
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

That would worry me too..... Can you tell me if she has a history of a heart murmur? Any recent anesthesia? Can you tell if she is breathing hard?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Labored breathing. No recent anesthesia. Cannot hear an obvious murmur and no history of murmur.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At first worried I brought kennel cough home from work but this sounds wet and gross. No snotty yellow nose or eye discharge.

So, there are two things that your description makes me worry about. The first is possibly would be a heart related cough. Many dog with tracheal collapse can also develop heart failure. With the fever, infection is also a concern... such as pneumonia. Pneumonia can occur with kennel cough. Cancer is also a very distant possibleity.

Xrays will give you a better idea of what is going on and where to go from here. The bigger question is what to do now...

If a dog has a breathing rate of greater than 30breaths per minute at complete rest then there is likely a significant amount of fluid in the lungs... either from heart disease or infection. And I would consider it an emergency. Can you count the breathing rate? Do you have an emergency clinic that you can go to tonight?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have an error. Let me check respirations
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have an er. I meant

I don't like to wait when a dog has labored breathing because their condition can deteriorate rapidly. If you are absolutely unable to take her anywhere tonight then keeping her calm, cool and hydrated is the best thing for tonight. Any exertion can make it works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We're about 42
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave her about 100 ml p lyte SQ
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In worried I should take her into er tonight

That is too high. She needs to go to the er. The fluids won't hurt, but if it is her heart it won't help her. She needs a diuretic to get rid of fluids.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok then we'll go in

Best wishes!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank u
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian