Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I can't figure out what is wrong with his skin my dog is

Customer Question

i can't figure out what is wrong with his skin my dog is 14iyrs mixed with english and pitbull dog and for this past year i have changed his food he was scraped and can't figure out why he keeps scratching and biting his skin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sir Bentley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sir Bentley?
Customer: i was thinking about the anal glands flushing - if he is scratching his but and rubbing it on the floor is that an indicator
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. If he is scooting on the floor to scratch then the anal glands may be full or he may be expressing them through scooting. Usually these are expressed through a bowel movement but if the stool is too soft, they don't break the Sacs open. You can help firm up the stool by adding some fiber to the daily diet, such as canned pumpkin.

Constant scratching , absent any fleas , bacterial. fungal or yeast infection can be due to airborne allergies and it seems to be particularly bad this year. If your vet has done a skin scraping and there are no skin infections or parasites. then I would talk to them about airborne allergens. There is a new medication out for this called Apoquel which can stop that itch in a matter of days.

Sometimes these allergies go away when the season ends. but if the dog is allergic to dust or dust mites then it can be a year round problem.

Here is more on seasonal allergies http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/features/seasonal-allergies-and-your-pet