Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a lump by her anus. Her and the other dogs lick

Customer Question
it and sometimes it bleeds....
My dog has a lump by her anus. Her and the other dogs lick it and sometimes it bleeds.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

How long has the lump been present?

Is it on the rectal ring itself or to the side on normal skin?

Can you take a photo of this as it will let me see what you are seeing? To post online, you can use the paperclip icon above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Thank you,

Unfortunately, your photo isn't quite in focus over the lump. In any case, we do need to tread with care since this is an area where we have very little wiggle room if we need to remove a mass. So, its always best to be proactive in these cases. Now in regards ***** ***** lump's nature, we do have to consider a range of issues. It is possible this is related to an underlying anal gland impaction, inflammation, infection, or mass. As well, we cannot rule out benign cysts, adenomas, and cancerous lesions. And if you are seeing occasional bleeding that raises worries of the skin being ulcerated due to the mass stretching it thin. This can be quite sore but also can become infected (both reasons she could be licking and the latter could lead to the others doing so).

With all this in mind and considering the need to be proactive for Ginger, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump. The can check the associated gland +/- sample the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst would be suspect and can be drained. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.

Overall, with this being present in an awkward area and the licking raises those additional concerns, we'd want to be proactive here. Therefore, if she is due a booster soon, considering moving that appointment up so we can have your vet sample this to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for Ginger.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the blurry picture, she was not wanting to stay still and it was hard to take by myself. Last night when I checked the lump it was no longer hard. I think it drained during the day. I thought I saw some puss coming out of it when I was putting pressure on it.

No worries,

I know it can be a challenge, especially if you don't have someone to pop a hand on her. In any case, if you have seen pus, then an infection (abscess) is our top concern. If possible you will want to express as much as possible and salt water bathe/flush the inside of this. Otherwise, we may need just to get her vet to put her on a short course of antibiotics to clear this and get it settled.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian